It’s 7am and the sun has just emerged
over the horizon as I unzip my tent and am greeted by the scent of a smoldering
fire. Atop the fire sits a grate and a five gallon pot that will soon produce
breakfast. As Beau stirs the contents of the pot, I find my stool around the
fire and adjust to the fact that I am now awake. After a short while the pot is
transferred from the fire and onto the metal table. As he calls out “breakfast
is served!” the rest of the team emerges from their tents and makes their way
into the breakfast line. Now, with all 15 of us in line we say a short prayer and
make our way through the table.
First up there is of
course the bowls, followed by the main dish of Jungle Oats which is an African
brand of oatmeal. Then there is an assortment of add-ins: apples, peaches,
peanut butter and sugar, but not just any sugar, the sea salt of the sugar
world. Once my oatmeal creation is done I find my way back to my stool, sitting
in the sand. There I open my bible to the day’s reading and set it in my lap. Now
it is time to begin the delicious dive into my oatmeal. As I stir the apples
into the oatmeal, steam surges out of the bowl. Not too soupy but not too thick,
my oatmeal is the perfect consistency and tastes as good as it looks. The cool crunch
of the apples combined with the hot gush of the oatmeal is the ideal
combination. Sitting their indulging in my oatmeal and reading my bible, I look
around at my fellow team members and friends who are doing the exact same thing
and I am overwhelmed with a sense of unity and belonging.
You are probably now thinking
what is wrong with this girl, why on earth is she writing about oatmeal? Most
people hate oatmeal, it is that bland food that makes them gag. However the
scene I described above comes from time spent in Africa. A group of twelve of
us from my church partook in this mission’s trip last summer, spending fifteen
days in Zambia and that was the scene we witnessed and experienced every
morning.
The first morning in
Zambia, when I realized we would eat oatmeal for breakfast every day I was
terrified as I had never been a huge oatmeal fan. That day I ate half of a bowl
with no add-ins and was hungry half way to lunch. The next day, Michelle, my
best friend and tent mate, convinced me to add in some apples and sugar. This
bowl of Jungle Oats was the difference between day and night when compared to
the bowl the day before. I ate the whole bowl and was satisfied through the
long hours of walking between villages. The following days I tried peanut
butter like Troy and peaches like Dwight but nothing was as good as my apples
and sugar combo. It was amazing to see how many different combinations the team
could make out of those four add-ins and how different they all tasted. The
oatmeal gave each person a way to demonstrate their creativity and show their
personality.
As the trip drew to a
close, many people were sick of the oatmeal, hoping to never see another oat
again; but some, like me, didn't want to leave the Jungle Oats behind. Dwight
even went as far as to buy five boxes of Jungle Oats to shove
into his suitcase and bring back to the states. For months afterwards he would
post on Facebook about how wonderful eating the oats was, adding #Africa and
#Memories. Reading these posts the little green monster inside me grew larger
and larger. Eating the Jungle Oats gave Dwight a way to go back and revisit the
memories we had created in Africa.
Today
when I eat oatmeal it brings me back to a time of wonderful memories. It was
time full of once in a life time experiences: petting a zebra, going on safari
and peeing on bats; but more than that it was a time of bonding, of feeling
terrified and comfortable at the same time, of feeling guided, of having
purpose, of being free.
You are a very skilled writer- I love the descriptive details you use to really paint a picture of the scene for the reader.
ReplyDeleteI really love your essay! You describe a period of wonderful memories you have in Africa. The significance of food is always related to a specific location and a special experience. I really enjoy what you write in the second paragraph that "As I stir the apples into the oatmeal, steam surges out of the bowl. Not too soupy but not too thick, my oatmeal is the perfect consistency and tastes as good as it looks. The cool crunch of the apples combined with the hot gush of the oatmeal is the ideal combination." This detail draws a picture of the oatmeal in my mind and I am really curious about oatmeal. You describe you like oatmeal but I am confused why many people were sick of the oatmeal. Maybe you may make a a more clearly comparison between the reason you like oatmeal and the reason others may hate oatmeal.
ReplyDeleteI like the way that you went into great detail about the oatmeal you ate while in Africa. Your description of the oatmeal made me feel like I could actually see it. I found it very interesting that even after returning home you still liked the oatmeal because it brought back those memories. I found that your essay was very clear and easy to follow. However, I feel that it could be even better if it were longer with more mention of things that you did while in Africa.
ReplyDelete