Sunday, May 19, 2013

P9 - What to Eat


The articles by Pollan and Dupuis discuss the ever changing ways that people choose what to eat and what not to eat. Dupuis gives a brief history of the subject from angles in the early colonies to civil war era calories, up to World War I vitamins. Her article shows how people have always been interested in knowing what they should eat and rely invisible authors to tell them. Everyone is so obsessed with what they need and what foods will give it to them that they jump on the food yo-yo going up and down with the latest trends, making it impossible to get a steady routine down. Pollan’s article parallels Dupuis’ in that it shows how views on food health have changed, new ideas have emerged and the things people are concerned about have changed. In the end he boils it down to nine ideas on how to escape the nutritionism and just be able to eat.

I think these articles show how crazy people are when it comes to eating. Everybody gets swept up in the latest fad, becoming obsessed with finding the new right thing to eat. I agree with the article’s idea of stopping asking invisible authors what to eat but instead using our own instinctual guide to help us discover what is best, along with a few rules of thumb. I Myself get so frustrated with the ever changing ideas on what is healthy or not and instead have adopted a few methodologies that are very similar to what Pollan lists.      

2 comments:

  1. I really like the points that you make in your first paragraph. I agree that food trends change so often that there is no trend that stays longer than a few years. I like how you related it to yourself personally at the end too. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your findings, it is annoying how people can get so caught up in the latest fad and ignore information that they might have learned about very recently, but are immediately changing their eating habits accordingly. It is too bad that science is no longer a consistent guide, as not even scientists can decide what is good or bad for us! Great post, I saw a lot of similarities in your post in your post and mine.

    ReplyDelete